Head Of Athletic Performance
Head of Athletic Performance
* Moore Park New South Wales Australia
* Full Time
Closing 17 Nov 2020
WHY CHOOSE THE SWANS?
Our club was born almost 150 years ago from hard work, grit and a relentless drive for success. We are rich in history and ambitious about the future. Together we share the journey and celebrate the wins. We are proud to be one of the leading football clubs, both on and off the field, in Australia.
When choosing a career with the Sydney Swans, you will join a team that stands up in the big moments. A team that is respectful, disciplined, and courageous. And one that has conviction. You will be part of something bigger.
We are committed to creating a supportive environment in which people feel connected to our football club and to each other. Therefore, we encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.
The Sydney Swans are accepting applications from suitably experienced individuals for the Head of Athletic Performance role in our Football Department.
Reporting directly to the EGM - Football and the Senior Coach, this role will be part of a multi-disciplinary sports medicine & high performance team and will be responsible for the design, implementation and management of the conditioning, strength and recovery program for the Sydney Swans playing group. Additionally, the position is a key stakeholder in the sports science partnership between the Sydney Swans and UTS.
* Leading the development, planning and implementation of the athletic performance program at the Sydney Swans
* Work in partnership with the coaching panel to devise and implement a holistic football program
* Strategic management of the strength, conditioning, nutrition and recovery programs to maximise performance of the team
* Implement and manage load monitoring, fitness testing and training protocols
* In conjunction with the physiotherapy and medical services team, contribute to maximising athlete availability through effective injury prevention practices, return to play outcomes and minimising injury recurrence in rehabilitation
* Lead physical team preparation and recovery procedures on match-day
* Management and oversight of the sports science program including comprehensive GPS data collection and analysis
* Assist with the development and maximise use of athlete management systems
* Design and coordination of the weekly training structure and Football Department training calendar to maximise performance of the team
WHAT WERE LOOKING FOR
* Bachelor of Exercise Science (minimum qualification)
* PhD and/or Post Graduate Masters Study in relevant Sport/Exercise/Health Science field (preferred)
* 5+ years experience working in high performance sport (previous experience within the AFL highly desirable but not essential)
* ESSA exercise science accreditation or equivalent
* Demonstrated ability to successfully develop, implement and manage strength, conditioning, nutrition, recovery and rehabilitation programs for talented AFL players or other elite athletes
* Understanding of Medical, Nutrition, Rehabilitation, Sports Psychology and Skill Acquisition fundamentals
* Demonstrated ability to collect and analyse data and distribute reports
* Demonstrated ability to provide timely, compelling and concise advice to inform and support decision making
* Demonstrated experience in managing financial resources, risk management and strategy development.
THE RIGHT PERSON
* Will be able to energise and motivate players to achieve an elite level of performance
* Will be able to form strong relationships with athletes and display a high level of coaching to influence behaviours
* Will have strong planning and management skills, be highly organised and a good decision maker
* Will be able to work independently as well as lead and drive a dynamic team to pursue team goals, share information, support others, show consideration and respect for alternative ideas and solutions
* Will have highly developed strategic thinking and problem-solving skills including the ability to analyse and assess the value of information within an often fast-moving environment
* Will have exceptional understanding of best practice sports science and technology and the performance drivers for elite success
Due to the nature of the industry, the ideal candidate must be flexible in their availability as extended hours and weekend work will be required for this role.
* Human Movement/Exercise/Sports Science Degree
To be considered for this role please submit a one-page cover letter that addresses:
* Why you are the ideal person for the role
* Why you want to join our team
Send the cover letter along with a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should be a maximum of four pages, including cover letter, and less than 5MB in size.
Applications close 17 November 2020
As we expect a high level of interest in the role, only those applicants short listed will be contacted.
Sydney Swans Limited is an equal opportunity employer.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander candidates are encouraged to apply.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Australia.
Further enquiries should be directed to Heather Ward (Human Resources) on (02) 9339 9141.
(02) 9339 9141
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: