Job Title : Head Of Department - Health And Physical Education
STATE GOVERNMENT OF WA
Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA654927
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2021
Are you an inspirational and experienced educational leader committed to building a culture of excellence in teaching and learning?
Kinross College is seeking to appoint a Head of Department – Health and Physical Education to join their friendly team. Leading an active department, your exceptional engagement practices will result in high level successes and engagement of your staff and our students.
To be successful in this role, you will ideally be an expert classroom practitioner with capacity to build a culture of excellence in teaching that supports the learning needs of all students. With excellent inter-personal skills and relationship focused management approach, you will have the experience to lead staff and curriculum development in the Learning Area. You will demonstrate a range of classroom teaching methods including explicit, direct instruction, delivering engaging, relevant and meaningful learning. You will be innovative, knowledgeable and understand instructional curriculum, whilst keeping abreast of the latest developments within the learning area. Ideally, you will also be reflective in assessing the effectiveness of your leadership and teaching practice, and able to cultivate a safe and accountable learning environment.
As the Head of Department, you will share a commitment to the school’s emphasis on pastoral care and co-curricular programs, including the ability to lead the school’s sport development programs. In addition, the department boasts a strong Outdoor Education. The ability to plan and build partnerships around these programs will be advantageous for any applicant.
You will work as part of a dedicated team, and have the opportunity to make a lasting contribution to the College community. The successful applicant will have high expectations, a commitment to excellence, use a range of pedagogies and have the ability to establish and maintain a positive learning environment for both staff and students.
In recent years the College has developed a highly successful record in a range of fields including outstanding academic results in the World Scholars Cup which leads some students to compete at Yale University. The college also boasts a Soccer and Basketball Program, and a rigorous Academic Extension Program. Our staff combine to offer an amazing portfolio of extra-curricular activities including the biggest Police Cadet Rangers Program in the State, the Harry Potter Book Club, Anime Club, Circus troupe and many more.
Our Compass Program offers tailored teaching strategies for a selective group of students. This allows other class teachers the freedom and time to improve student outcomes for the wider school community. The College provides ongoing onsite support and training in CMS strategies, and allows for in-class coaching for graduate teachers.
Kinross College recently completed further facilities upgrades this year, including new Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) areas, university style lecture theatre, new Music rooms, and a Beauty Therapy room. The project will support the future expansion into Year 11 & 12 upper school, as well as resulting in outstanding student and staff facilities.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs).
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Jeanavieve Walia, Deputy Principal, by telephoning (08) 9233 6700 or emailing Jeanavieve.Walia@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements in context of the role and business needs of the branch;
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position;
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 26 November 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: